Choosing Your Bridesmaids
Choosing your bridesmaids
While searching on an online forum I came across an irate bride venting her frustration about one of her bridesmaids who was not performing her bridesmaid’s duties properly. Choosing the right bridesmaids can be a treacherous decision and if not chosen properly can severely affect your special day.
For most brides to be the decision about who will be their bridesmaids is an easy one but for some choosing your bridesmaids can be a bit more difficult to decide.
Much will be expected from your bridesmaids. They should be there for you in the run up to the wedding and especially on the day. Asking a friend or family member to be such an integral part of your wedding is a huge honour and they should be happy to be involved in the wedding.
Tips for choosing your bridesmaids:[list style=”list8″ color=”rosy”]
- Firstly work out how many bridesmaids you want and how many groomsman your partner wants.
- Don’t feel pressured by family into asking who they want to be in your bridal party. In the end it is your decision. But you should also try to be sensitive to their feelings and acknowledge their requests.
- You are not obliged to ask a friend to be your bridesmaid just because she asked you.
- Choose friends and family members that are actively involved in your lives. If you are not close before the wedding you will not be closer after the wedding. You don’t want to be looking at your wedding photographs in 5 years time and realise you have not spoken to your bridesmaids since the wedding.
- Don’t expect too much from your bridesmaids. A friend of mine Ali told me that as a bridesmaid for her good friends wedding she was expected to work night and day getting the wedding venue ready. I don’t think that this is what your bridesmaids are for. You want your bridesmaids to be there emotionally for you and not to have to do all your dirty work for you. It is okay to get everyone to muck in for the wedding but don’t over do it as it will leave the people you treasure the most feeling used and taken advantage of.
- Finally ask ladies in your life to be your bridesmaids that make you feel good about yourself, who you feel relaxed with and who value your friendship.
If you stick with this you cannot go wrong!